Whole Wheat Pancakes

Do you like pancakes? We do too! I usually I make them about twice a month and until now,  I used to always make them with all-purpose flour but in my desire to eat healthier,  I decided to give whole wheat flour a run. I was actually impressed! Nice texture and great taste, not to mention, a lot more fiber :-)

We like to eat them with fresh fruit, (depending what I have at that moment) like papaya, cantaloupe, strawberries and blueberries. Sometimes I use frozen strawberries or blueberries and cook them up slightly with a little bit of cornstarch to make a sauce, or other times, I serve them with canned peaches.  Delicious!

whole-weat-pancakes -

INGREDIENTS

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder   
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/4 cup oil
1 cup 1% milk
1 tbsp. lemon juice


DIRECTIONS

In a medium size bowl combine whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In another  bowl, whisk  together egg, oil, milk and lemon juice. 
Add it to  the flour mixture and mix with the fork just until all  moistened. Do not over mix. 

Heat a non-stick pan on medium high heat.  Drop batter with a small ladder into the hot pan. Turn over when bubbles pop on top and cook until golden brown. Place them into a covered  dish to keep them warm until all pancakes are done.

Serve them with hot blueberry sauce and  with fresh sliced fruit of your choice.

Makes  8 pancakes


TIP: Make breakfast fun for kids by making different shaped pancakes, that they would love to eat.

Comments