A Special Birthday Cake


It was our little grandson’s first birthday coming up and my daughter requested a cake in the shape of a tree log to go with her woodlands theme.  First I thought she was joking, but she wasn't and after a good few hours....this is what the finished cake looked like.


cake-wood

The mushrooms are fondant, with a drop of red food colouring for the red tops.  I started with the idea of making just a few but I had so much fun making them that I couldn't stop, so I made a little more then first intend it :)

cake-wood-mushrooms

I dipped the ends in egg white and then in finely grated chocolate for a real look....you know, as mushroom look when they are freshly picked from the ground. What can I say, I like details :- )

cake-wood-mushrooms2

You can purchase ready made fondant at craft stores like Michaels but I find it pricey so I decided to try and make some my own. I used marshmallow fondant recipe (only half the quantity) I found on this site; http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm  She gives clear and very good detailed instructions on how to make the fondant.

cake-wood-mushrooms4


cake-wood-mushrooms5


cake-wood-mushrooms6

To make the log I used a walnut cake baked in two jelly roll pans and filled rolls  with a butter and chocolate creamy filling using part of it for the icing .

cake-wood-mushrooms8


cake-wood-mushrooms7




cake-wood-

The cake on the buffet table ready for the little birthday boy : –)

Happy Baking!

Leia’s Culinary Treasures

Comments