Chocolate Cola-Cake Squares

Another chocolate-lover dessert. (For those of you that are not so much a chocolate-fan, please check out my older posts... I do love other things too :-))

Well, I guess, if you don't know by now, you probably do now, I love chocolate and so no wonder when it calls for a dessert, I embrace the opportunity with another chocolaty treat. I also  - specially when I'm pressed for time - like to make desserts that are fast, easy and taste great.

This is one great dessert, a dense but still moist chocolate cake with intense chocolate in every bite. Great served at parties, potlucks or large occasional gatherings as it doesn't necessary require the use of a fork. A "finger-food" dessert if you will.

Did I mention, simple and easy to do? Yes, it is, and I say this - specially for those of you that consider themselves more of a beginner in baking - don't be afraid to give it a try. You will be asked for the recipe. I know, I was. So, here it is.

Enjoy my friends!

 IMG_5585

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter
3 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 cup cola
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup miniature marshmallows

Icing:
1/2 cup butter
3 tablespoons baking cocoa
1/2 cup powder sugar (or confectioners' sugar)
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 cup toasted walnut, coarsely chopped (or pecans)

Directions:
In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.

Cube the butter and place it into a medium saucepan; add cocoa and cola and bring to a boil. Remove from heat; set aside to cool slightly then add to the dry ingredients.

Break eggs into a small mixing bowl; whisk together until frothy. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla; add to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.

Stir in marshmallows. Pour into a greased 9-inch x 13-inch baking pan.

Bake at 350° (pre-heated oven) for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove pan to a cooling rack and let cool.

For icing, cube the butter into a small saucepan; add cocoa, sugar and whipping cream; bring to a boil and cook stirring until smooth and shiny, for about 1-2 minutes.

Spread over cake. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts (or pecans).  Let cool. Serve cut into squares.

Makes:35 squares

IMG_5609
 
Bon Appetit!


Leia’s Culinary Treasures

Comments