Cherry-Almond Squares

I made this squares a while back but I never got to write out the recipe and post it. I guess, too many things to do and never enough time to do them all. I wish sometimes, I could stretch the hours in the day... I'm sure you can all relate to my dilemma...Anyhow, coming back to my post, I hope you will like this recipe enough to give it a try.

This squares are a bit sticky but they are delicious....and definitely satisfies any cravings for sweet that you might have.  I made using frozen cherries  I had some in the freezer from last year (yes, you can freeze cherries) and I thought I should use them up and make something...

Enjoy!

cherry-almond squares

Ingredients:
1-1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp. icing (confectioner's) sugar

Topping:
1 cup chopped cherries
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond flavouring
1/4 cup unsweetened medium coconut
1 cup sliced almonds, divided
 
IMG_3774

Directions:

Lightly grease a 7 inch by 11 inch pan; set aside.

IMG_3760 IMG_3761

Blend flour with butter using a pastry cutter.

 IMG_3763 IMG_3764

Add icing sugar and mix together. Spoon into the prepared pan and using the back of a spoon, pat down evenly. Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 8 minutes.

IMG_3766

Remove from oven and spread cherries on top; bake for 5 minutes longer.

IMG_3769 IMG_3770

Meanwhile make topping; place butter, brown sugar and cream into a small saucepan and bring it to a boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract, almond flavouring, coconut and 3/4 cup of almonds.

Remove pan from the oven and spread topping on top of cherries. Sprinkle the remaining almonds on top and return to oven and bake for 10-12 minutes longer, until all bubbly.

Remove to a rack and let cool before cutting into squares.

IMG_3790

Voila!  Ooey, gooey delicious!!

Makes: 20 squares

Enjoy!

Leia’s Culinary Treasures

Comments