Meat Balls Soup (Ciorba de Perisoare)

I like soups. They are filling and when you eat soup, chances are that you are actually going to eat less food and fell fuller faster than when you ate just solid food.

There are so many soups that I like,  and unless the weather outside is hot, there is always a soup in the making.

This is a traditional Romanian soup that is customarily  made with ground beef, but one day, I decided to make it using ground turkey instead of ground beef.  I have to tell you, I like it better this way.  This soup is now even tastier!  Maybe it is just personal preference...or maybe, better yet, I will let you be the judge of that.

Happy cooking !

Soup-meatballs-perisoare

Meat Balls:
1 onion, chopped
3 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup rice
1/2 cup water
1-1/2 tsp. Vegeta seasonings (or similar)
1 lb. (500 gr.) ground beef (or turkey)
1 egg
 
 
Broth:
2 tbsp. oil
3 carrots, chopped
2 parsnip, chopped
1 tsp. salt
2 quarts water
1 tbsp. Vegeta seasoning
2 tsp. chicken powder bouillon
3 tbsp. lovage leaves, chopped
2 tbsp. parsley greens, chopped
 
Finishing sauce:
1 egg yolk
4 tbsp. sour cream

Directions:
To make the meat balls; sauté onion in the oil, for about 3-4 minutes, or until translucent. Add salt and rice; stir, then add 1/2 cup of water. Cook on medium heat, until water has been totally absorbed. Set aside to cool completely.

Meanwhile make the soup by sauteing the carrots, parsnips and salt in the oil for 3-4 minutes. Add about 2 quarts water, seasoning and bouillon powder; let it boil for 20 minutes.

Once the rice is cooled completely add the vegeta seasoning, ground meat and egg. Stir together to mix well. Take spoonful's and make golf ball size balls, (wet your hands to roll them into small balls) and place them on a wet or lightly oiled surface (like a cutting board) to prevent them from sticking,  ( about 32-35 balls).

Drop meat balls into the soup and boil on medium low heat for 20 minutes or longer,  until meat balls are cooked. (Take one out on a plate, cut in half, and check for rice to be cooked in the center).

To finish soup, make a sauce by mixing egg yolk and sour cream together; stir in slowly a cup of water, then add it slowly to the boiling soup. Dress soup with parsley and lovage greens and let it cook  for 2 more minutes. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with freshly squeezed lemon juice and slices of hot peppers.

Makes: 8-10 servings

Leia’s Culinary Treasures

Comments

  1. Leia! I was wondering, where do you get lovage leaves, I am excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had to buy it because I have a big bush in the garden and I always freeze to last me through the winter... I can give you some that I have frozen, if you like....than, you can pick some in the summer and dry it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Love to read your comments. Leave me one in the box bellow.Cheers!.